There are a few ways to track your refund. One of the newest ways is to use the IRS2Go mobile application. The benefits of this app include the ability to check refund status 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The app also allows you to make a payment, receive free tax help, stay connected to the latest IRS tax tips, and can also be used to generate login security codes for various IRS online services.
Another way to check your refund status is directly on the IRS website. You will need to have your social security number or ITIN, filing status, and exact refund amount in order to use this tool.
How long it will take to receive your refund depends on a handful of factors. Filing electronic returns typically provide a much faster refund than by paper. Here are some tips to receive your refund the fastest:
- file electronically
- submit an accurate, complete, error-free return
- verify the correct Social Security number or Taxpayer Identification Number for the taxpayer, their spouse and their dependents
- provide the correct mailing address in case we need to mail the refund check
- use the correct bank account and routing number if choosing direct deposit
In some instances, certain refunds take longer to process. This is most common when a return:
- includes errors, is incomplete, or needs further review
- includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit
- is impacted by identity theft or fraud
Here are some helpful links: